Saturday, May 25, 2013

End of an Era

I've been telling people lately that finishing a degree just leaves you asking...

Let me tell you, it's actually a whole lot of this:

So after all of the pomp and circumstance (get it?) that was graduation, I moved to another residence hall on campus so that I could stay in Fayetteville for two weeks. This was really important because I absolutely needed to take a general chemistry laboratory for which I already received credit in order to be successful in medical school (long story). So twice a day for six days, I spent my time doing labs over stuff I already knew; the rest of my time was spent being constantly depressed about leaving, watching Season 9 of Grey's Anatomy, and bothering the friends that remained in Fayetteville.

Then I moved home on Friday. Never to return (for a long while). Easier said than done. I was lucky enough to be able to spend the last 4 years in a place where I really felt like I belonged. When I graduated and there was nothing left there for me, it felt like I was leaving my heart behind.

The past 4 years in Fayetteville have been life-changing. I was challenged, learned, grew, found lifelong and irreplaceable friends, and discovered who I am. This last year, particularly, was phenomenal, and I grew up more in one year than I did in the first 3 years of college after overcoming depression and personal struggles. I also became closer to some of the best friends that I've ever had, and we were like a family. I took the MCAT, traveled to Costa Rica, applied to 12 medical schools, was accepted to 4 medical schools, received a research grant, completed a thesis, presented at a conference, received a student leadership award (presented by one of my best friends), and graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. Fayetteville is my comfort zone. And I guess I'm lucky that I'm leaving behind so many great friends and memories, even though it's one of the most painful moments of my life.

 Since Fayetteville became my home, my conventional "home" just feels like the place where my parents and sisters live. It's great, but something is off. Regardless, it's the best place to face the next chapter of my life: becoming an adult.

Because upon leaving Fayetteville...

I remembered that I still don't have a car, a place to live in Galveston, or barely any money.

I started my adulthood journey today by trying to be healthier (it's amazing how quickly you can gain 10lbs when you stop caring about everything while you wait to finish your degree).  I started Weight Watchers again today and made plans to start the Couch-to-5K running plan this week as well, since I would like to get fit and be able to run in the Komen Race for the Cure next year.

I also applied for a credit card. It's lime green.

Baby steps, baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment